Thursday, April 11, 2013

Welcome To The Ultimate Collection Of Free Photo References For Artists

Hi and a warm welcome to my blog which is intended to be one of the biggest and most useful sites for artists and lllustrators and creatives who are looking for an easy to access and free source of figures for drawing, painting etc.

Who Is This Blog Aimed At? 

Figure Poses For Artists is suitable for anyone who requires handy reference photos of human figures for their projects. I am a cartooist/illustrator by day so I will mostly be selecting images that I find thik I might useful for my 'bread and butter' work.

I see this blog as being useful for:  Comic strip artists, illustrators, graphic designers, painters, animators etc.

What Sort Of Figure Reference Features Here?

To start with I will be mainly focused on clothed figures so expect lots of men and women in various outfits. Poses will vary from action poses to "everyday" poses (such as standing, sitting, leaning etc). I will do my best to categorise pictures so that it's easy to find what you're looking for.

Are These Pictures Original & Copyright Free?

No and no. These pictures are found online and are presented here for your personal use and inspiration only. All copyrights of the original photograph owners/sources are respected.  Try not to blindly trace or copy these photos but simply use them for reference in the same way artists and illustrators have been using photographs from newspapers and catalogues etc for many years.

I have tried to use photographs I consider to be somewhat in the public domain - photos companies and individuals won't mind me sharing with others.

The point of these pictures is to save you hours trawling the internet looking for suitable stuff.

Is using photos cheating?

Absolutely not! Artists and illustrators have been using photo reference for years. Ideally all artists would take their own photos of professional models with perfect outfits and props  but this is not always practical.

Artists have always gathered and collected reference material for use in their work - now thanks to the internet it's much easier to find and store thousands of images for recalling whenever you need a particular pose or references for a particular prop.

Don't forget, however, to add your  own twist - you're an artist not a human photo tracer!

I hope that my collection of figure poses provides inspiration for your work.

 







No comments:

Post a Comment